Friday 31 July 2020

Hussars - 7th Hussar Command Base for BBB Napoleonics

Last century, when my Brother and I started wargaming, he bought volume 1 of the Funcken book of French Napoleonic uniforms.  As we were at the Belgian Army museum in Brussels, this was, of course, in French...


It is beautifully illustrated (though sometimes there are debates about the accuracy of some of the uniforms within) and inspired us both to keep on wargaming.  At some point I was given the book.  

In the last couple of years, having decided to build 1/300 / 6mm armies suitable for Napoleonic gaming using the BBB rules system, I started painting up the French army for 1809.  

Most recently I've been painting French Hussars (both 1809 & 1796-1800) so I've used the page below, together with sources on the internet, to pick colourful and flamboyant uniforms.

Here is the double page of Hussars (or as much as I can get in the scanner!):


The 7th Hussar Trumpeter from the Elite Company, resplendent in red uniform & white colpack, was an obvious choice.  

For BBB we use Standard bearers/flag stands to indicate troop quality (Raw = no flag stand, Trained = 1 Flag stand & Veterans = 2 Flag stands) - I wanted a 7th Hussar Command Base, with flag and Elite Company Trumpeter.  

I used 4 x Baccus French Hussars (NFR06) with 2 x French Elite Light Cavalry (NFR12).  The addition of Elite cavalry to each base provides elan and helps spread the Hussars further, so I can have more!  

The Elite troopers are based on the Chasseur a Cheval de la Garde Imperiale, so the plumes were moved to the front of the colpack.  I made a standard bearer by removing a trooper's sword and replacing it with a dress makers pin.  The flag is from Napflags and is free on the internet.

Here they are:









Here they are with the 5th Hussars (also a command stand):






So, a further stand finished - ready for the backlog of Napoleonic battles I hope to fight once we restart face to face gaming.  I hope that this inspires some of you to give these troops a go.

Stay safe & keep painting!

There's a bit more fluff on the photo table than normal, as it is currently part of a mask production line...  Also - now I've photo'd them, I have noticed that the bases need a little bit of tidying up....





2 comments: