Sunday 1 August 2021

Buildings Update 2 - German Barn

I wanted some buildings for my Napoleonic games and so decided to construct a barn.  A trawl of the internet found a blog on German buildings (Yes!) with lots of pictures of buildings both preserved, in use as barns and converted to something else.  You can check out the blog here German Barns by Maggie Blanck I can only recommend it as inspirational.

I built the barn from card (using white glue) which I then covered in brick plastic card (super glued to the card).  For walls and roof I used N gauge brick wall and tiled roof sheets from Slaters Plastikard. The roof was shaped from card and covered with tiles plasticard.  I added framing from plastic rod and added doors.  The barn was based on mdf from Warbases and painted with GW Citadel paints. 

This barn is not based on one particular example, it is an amalgam of buildings to give the effect I wanted.  

I'll also mention Jim Bibbly blog and Dan Hodgson Reveille Painting who regularly post pictures of their really attractive and detailed model buildings.  Their work inspired me to give it a go!

So, here is the finished barn, next to some BBB based Austrians (on 1" x 1" bases).  





The barn probably needs some magnetic strip underneath, both to give it a bit of weight and to raise it so the ground level matches the troop bases.  It also needs a bit of grass!

2 comments:

  1. Colin, just read about your German barn... regrading the use of "N gauge tile /brick card ... do you mean 1mm or 4mm (referring to Slaters PlastiCards catalogue,,)

    Crispin(Oxford)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crispin! Nguage is 1/144 - so about 2mm to the foot. This makes the bricks and stones a little over scale, but it seems to work OK!

      Delete