Monday 27 April 2020

Operation Sealion - the Lockdown Map game....


As one game closes, so another opens. There are 6 of us playing "Operation Sealion" - Hitler's invasion of Southern England in 1940. In our alternate history, the Germans have managed to hold off the Royal Navy long enough to land forces, some of which are now in West Sussex, around Billingshurst.
3 players are Germans, 3 are Empire (Canadians, actually). All orders, movements and combat is routed through an umpire, who feeds back to you limited information from your forces and other commanders. The six of us don't know who we are in game terms, so whilst I know Chris P, Dave W and Mark S are players, I don't know if they are on my side and I'm not allowed to ask!
For similar reasons I cannot share the game ('cos my sneaky fellow gamers would work out who I am) but it has been fun so far. A lot of waiting, confusion, mixed orders and inconclusive results..... a bit like a normal day at the office.....
At some point I'll put some pictures up, or the AAR (After Action Report).
Till next time (or should that be "Auf Wiedersehen"?)
PS - Yes, I am trying to use those years as a resident of West Sussex to gain an advantage!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting - What are the practicalities of running the game through an umpire? Best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Adam
    The Umpire has to have a map (ours is electronic) and resolve orders being transmitted (or not), movement (or not) and combat.
    The Umpire feeds information (& disinformation) to the players & gets them to react.
    The game feels very realistic. I ordered artillery, as did at least one of my opponents. I was told that I heard Arty in the distance - only later did I work out that my opponent and I had shelled each other.
    It is worth a go! Thanks to Mark J for setting it up and running the game.

    ReplyDelete