Wednesday 29 December 2021

US M5 High speed tractor - model redeemed

 Some while ago I bought a few US M4 high speed tractors from Heroics & Ros.  Whilst most of the castings were OK, one had suffered in the mould and was not going to be "table worthy".  It was bent to the left and the cabin area was only about 2/3 of the required height.


The model nearest the camera is the donor vehicle.  As the running gear was in better condition and height than the bodywork, I decided to create a M5, adding a cabin and reducing the rear deck.  Then it got put in a drawer until this Christmas, when I thought I'd have a go at rescuing it and finishing the model.

Here's the US M4, M5 & M6.


Here's reference photos for the cab.



Suitably armed with a plan, I removed all the bits I did not want and filed down the rear deck and around the sides.


This was then boxed off.


I added the cabin, the rear deck, the rear overhang for the engine radiator, tools, MG mount & cover, front bonnet and fender.  I added the prominent side bars to each side of the running gear.  Sorry, too busy making to photo each stage!



I also bent the legs on a 105mm Howitzer and added a stowage box so the tractor has a load to pull.


Most of my artillery will be truck towed, but as I had the model anyway, I thought I might as well try to make use of it!

As ever, I hope that this inspires you to have a go at making your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment