Saturday 26 February 2022

Diamond T wrecker - converting a tank transporter into a recovery truck - part 1

 I have always really liked the Diamond T wrecker and wanted to convert the Heroics & Ros Diamond T tank transporter tractor unit.  Here is a wrecker parked outside the musee de la liberation in Normany - picture culled from the internet.



This project was another one resurrected from the "in progress" pile at Christmas,  as explained in my earlier post M5 High speed tractor

On with the build!

I had already removed a lot of the rear deck, leaving two wedge shaped sides and the rear box behind the spare wheel.


Here's the original tractor compared to the cut down version (which has been wire brushed, hence shininess).



I bent a staple to make an A-frame from beside the spare wheel to the cab top.


I added at staple to make a frame either side of the generator between the cab and wheel.  Two pieces of .4mm rod to make the acetylene & oxygen tanks.




I tend added two strips of plastic to anchor the rear deck extension.  The strips are the side lockers.


Rear deck added and lockers trimmed to size.

I added a tailgate.



The wrecker has a winch at the front and the bumper has a raised section.  I filed the bottom of the bumper away at the radiator area and added a strip on top to make this feature.


I also added rear mud flaps to tidy up the rear area.  No, you probably won't see much of them...  ðŸ˜€



Here is the rear deck finished.  I added locker lids to the lockers and a plastic carved top to the cab to represent the canvas tilt.  




At this point I'll review the changes to date....



It looks like it can handle rescuing anything....   it also is now definitely different to the original model.

No comments:

Post a Comment