I have been building French wagons for the BBB Napoleonic Scenario books and, as i had a wagon spare, i thought I would make a British wagon. According to the internet the lack of horses in Spain and poor roads meant that Wellington's armies used pack mules for logistics, so the utility of a British wagon model was negligible.
The same research indicated that the British (and Spanish and Portuguese used ox carts) As I had bought a pack of Tumbrils (EQU02 in the Baccus catalogue) I decided to make some Ox carts. Buying Ox wagons for the wagons provided Oxen.
I made three adjustments to the wagons:
1 - Balance - my first wagon was very finely balanced, so at the last minute I drilled holes into the wagon and inserted fine staples inside the wheels to provide a bit of extra fixing. The Mk2 wagons got this mod from the start.
2 - Change the shafts - the tumbril comes with two shafts as it's a 1 horse wagon. These were removed and a single pole inserted at the front.
3 - Harness the oxen - the oxen got neck collars to make them look like they were harnessed to the cart.
I also lengthened the base to 1 and 1/4 inch, as I felt the Mk1 only just fit on the base and I was concerned that the wagon was too near the edge.
Here's the base models:






No comments:
Post a Comment