Monday, 14 September 2026

Paint your wagon - French army logistic solutions

 I have been wanting to get some French wagons scratch built for a couple of years, but the project has kept getting shelved.  At the end of 2024 I bought a set of Bacchus Ox wagons (EQ 11 in the catalogue), but the wagons seem to be those from Baccus Waggons (EQ 1).  

This gave me a slightly longer wagon than I wanted, with no tilt, but the detail on the limber is really nice and I now have a herd of oxen (24) for other projects.  I'm building armies for the Peninsular war, a bit of research indicates that the Spanish use Ox Carts and the British mainly used mules.  So the Oxen will be pulling carts - more of this here.

I also currently have surplus French gun and ammunition wagon horse teams, so that's the motive power for the wagons sorted.  I decided to make 4 wagons in total, using 2 x horse teams for 3 smaller wagons and a 4 x horse team for the larger wagon.

Of the 4 wagons, 3 got the front box/locker sawn off ready for a new front to be added.  For the tilts I decided to use 2 x 1.5 mm plastic strips glued side by side, topped with 2 x strips of quarter round plastic strip also at 1.5mm wide.  The strip was, of course, bought for something else.  Here's the start of the project - the two wagons at lower left have been shortened.  


Here's the three shortened wagons and the original wagon with the plastic tilt formers added.  They needed filing at the ends to get the tilts levelled up and the tops and sides needed any slight ridges from the joints between the plastic strips removing by a bit more sanding. 



Here's what they look like when the paper tilt cover is added:


The next step is to add fine paper strips on top of the tilt for the hoops - the hoops are under the tilt but creating a ridge.  I also added paper strips to represent the canvas doors at either end of the wagon.


Here's a quick recap of the changes so far:


The fun bit is adding the loads at the rear.  I added stowage on the three 2 horse wagons.  The stowage is various bits of square plastic rod cut to ammo box or travel trunk size, with some round bits as well.  One of the wagons had half a cover from the carts set added as a tarpaulin.




Here's the dry run for one of the wagons.  I really like the detail on the front axle casting.  Note the little side box on the left hand side - not sure what this box is for, but adding it gives that French wagon outline.


Front shot showing the front tilt flaps and bench seat.


Right hand side - random stowage at the back.



Here's what they look like painted up - I've painted one wagon to start with.



The rear of the wagon with the tarpaulin cover.



The source materials I have seen show wagons with drivers on the horses and wagons with the driver on the wagon front seat - so having the driver on the horse seemed an easy solution.  As the drivers are logistics, not artillery, the uniforms are light blue with dark brown lapels, collar and cuffs. 

I decided to push on with one wagon and here it is:




It's a tad dusty from the road.  Finished in time for Bash Day North in Sheffield in late June, one of my OWS friends asked "you wouldn't happen to have a wagon? for the game he was hosting - happy to oblige!

In the last couple of weeks I got the next bases prepped - I build up the road with bits of card - ready for the groundwork and varnish coats.  I varnish the wagons separately and attach them once I have made the groundwork.



Here's the first three wagons finished.  Coming to a table near you soon!  One horse team rider has a tall plume, as convoy leader, apart from that they are the same uniform.  I slightly changed canvas the tilts on the wagons to reflect dirt and sun fading from use. 





So, a neat little project that will sort out your wagon needs for the French army.  The next instalment will look at the 4 horse heavy supply wagon.

As ever, I hope this encourages you to have a go at making these!


No comments:

Post a Comment